"The marks of maturity? Self-sustaining in spiritual devotions. Wise in human relationships. Humble and serving. Comfortable and functional in the everyday world where people of faith are in short supply. Substantial in conversation; prudent in acquisition; respectful in conflict; faithful in commitments...
"Mature Christians become mature by suffering, facing challenges that can arouse fear and a sense of inadequacy. Mature Christians learn to wrestle with questions that defy simple answers. They learn to say strategic and tactical 'no's' when others are indulging themselves by saying 'yes.' Oh, and mature Christians wrestle against the devil, you could say, and sometimes even lose. But they learn to get up again. Could I add, while I'm on a roll, that mature Christians are experts at repenting and humility."
That was a quote by Gordon Macdonald, bought to my attention by my friend Jennifer, who had it posted on her refrigerator at a party. The entire article is available by clicking on the author's name. I always appreciate it when pastors and leaders articulate theological realities in practical terms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is awesome. Thanks for posting it.
I agree. It is helpful and encouraging -- a portrait of the the journey and the fruit yielded in the heart, a heart of humility and service, grace and love.
Post a Comment