Tuesday, September 4, 2007

creativity.

I'm starting to quit following recipes when I cook.

For really big groups of people.

They're more like guidelines, anyway.

4 comments:

christine said...

way to go, valerie! trust your instincts.

RuthG said...

What kinds of foods are you cooking? What has come out especially well?

I don't cook for large groups that often, but it's good to have ideas on hand.

valerie said...

I made a fantastic creamed spinach soup that was based in whole milk and used a ton of spices. You start with a roux of flour and butter, then add the boiled creamed spinach (which was previously frozen and then boiled in chicken bouillon), add lots and lots of milk and nutmeg, chili powder, paprika, etc., until you get something really tasty.

christine said...

I made a really good stir-fry the other night with a little chicken, marinated in soy sauce flavored with ginger, brown sugar & garlic; then brown the chicken chunks in hot oil & set aside. Saute the veggies (lots of onion, celery, broccoli - cut in bite-size pieces) & steam for 3 mins; then return the chicken to the veggies and heat all through with the reserve soy sauce mix. Serve with hot rice. It was yummy! next time I'll minimize the brown sugar - you only need a little bit, otherwise it's too sweet.