My friend Molly has a recent article in the New York Times! Of course we're all bursting our buttons in pride and joy, though this isn't Molly's first journalistic success and won't be her last (look for an article in Christianity Today about her time at L'Abri sometime in the future). I appreciate that there's room to be productive at L'Abri, and Molly's really hard work inspires me to think about taking more care in my studying and writing.
We had a lecture yesterday about the intellectual virtues. First, that they exist at all, and second, that they involve a kind of responsibility in learning and teaching (or communicating). There's an ethic behind our epistemology and the way we develop and commit to what we know we know.
For instance, while Molly was here I remember talking to her about Christian presuppositions, and how often when Evangelicals engage in intellectual tasks they begin with a set of presuppositions regarding their own "world view" and that which is presented by those who aren't Christians. Molly noticed that Evangelicals will frequently approach a philosopher, author, or idea with Christian presuppositions that block them from genuinely engaging with the ideas at hand. So what happens in Christians classrooms goes something like this: "Today we're going to study Freud... and why he was wrong;" "Today we're going to learn about evolution, and why it's wrong;" "Today we'll read about Marx, and why he was a basket case."
In education, when this type of framing occurs, students are taught to block, fear, or refuse to think thoroughly about ideas. Maybe that seems basic, but when I told Molly about my experience in Culture Theory (where we studied Marx, Weber, and Durkheim) and how I distinctly remember how seriously we tried to take "the big three" of sociology/anthropology (that's another shout out to Dr. Howell, who designed our seminar in this manner), she seemed encouraged. That's not to say that blindly engaging or accepting every idea is intellectually virtuous, after all, caution is a virtue, but refusing to be open is a vice. (And yes, there is a sliding scale which makes the black & whiteness of this post seem overly simplistic).
In a way, heavy presuppositionalism is intellectually vicious, because it uses fear as a decision-making tool in curriculum design and is prideful. Two intellectual (and moral) virtues are courage and humility, which are possible because of grace in the first place.
The point is, since we are depraved, God in his mercy allows us to get anywhere at all intellectually. Learning and the development of intellectual virtues (which are habits and characteristics, not just random epiphanies) are possible because God is merciful.
Yet another opportunity to thank God, another place to recognize where we are sinful: slothful, resistant to truth, fearful, or proud, and another place to accept and administer grace to one another as we learn and teach. Grace abounds...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I will be the first to affirm that Karl Marx is NOT a basket case.
Shocker. What about his loyal protegees?
hi valerie!!! i just discovered that you have a blog! how exciting!
and i also feel like a bad friend for not knowing sooner...!
how are you? let's email soon.
I spent a weekend at the Holland L'Abri 24 years ago, and still remember what Henk Geertsma talked about. He said that thinkers and their ideas need to be considered first in terms of their own contexts, not as if they exist in our own. Kant was reacting to the ideas of his day, not ours.
RC Sproul is on the radio here in Dalls in the evenings. I appreciate the way he presents theological positions as they would be presented by the people who hold them, before he evaluates them. Much more respectful than most of us tend to be.
I envy you. I still have fond memories of L'Abri conferences in the early 80s, and my weekend at the Dutch L'Abri. It sounds like you're making the most of your time there. And by all means, get yourself a bike if you want! (I borrowed one and rode it down to the Rijn to see it in flood when I was in Holland.)
Post a Comment