Thursday, November 29, 2007

we're so po we can't afford the other "or."

Hey guys,

I know I'm giving Chris a lot of airtime on my blog these days, but he's just uploaded a series of videos that document a day at L'Abri in Switzerland. I'm in it a few times, and it's relatively entertaining, so if you want to get a better grasp of what goes on here and what it looks like, the videos are pretty good for that (and they're not all that long either).

The term's almost over. I'm coming home December 8th, but I'll be back next term again as a helper. :)

And as for the title of this post... L'Abri is constantly living month to month financially. It's a weird state of normalcy around here. But there are things like broken light fixtures in bathrooms and drafty hallways and chipped plates and cups and furniture that is literally falling apart that we use pretty much because everything in Switzerland is wickedly expensive. The mountains and the view more than make up for all of it for the most part, except when it's freezing outside and inside because of the cost of heat.

My point is, the workers have really generously agreed to let SEVEN helpers come back to L'Abri next term, which as far as our head guy can tell is unprecedented. We usually only have four in the winter. This is really exciting on a lot of levels, but we can definitely use your prayers for our community as we launch into another term.

Thanks!

2 comments:

christine said...

we love the videos! thanks for waving! can't wait to see you ...

John said...

Hi Valerie!
Just wanted to say that I hope the term ended up well for all of you, and safe travels back to the States for Christmas!

I'll be arriving at Bellevue in the evening on the 1st. I can't wait to see those Alps.

Have a good one!