Sunday, February 24, 2008

crepes for dinner tonight.

My friends,

I'm continually pleasantly surprised to see that there are people who actually read the blog this term and (even better) people who read comments. I've been pretty poor at updating this term. We're almost half-way done; on Thursday we'll begin a ten-day term break in which Kay, Jasie, and Thomas punt everyone out of Bellevue and we're left to fend for ourselves for a while.

My good friend Kim from childhood on 'till post-college is coming to visit us here in Switzerland. It's important to remember that in some ways, time seems to stop for people who are at L'Abri, or at least to slow down a lot. Back in the States things seem to be changing or moving a lot quicker. Maybe at L'Abri it just seems like you get to think about every frame of these changes more intently because other distractions (small things like billboards and television) are eliminated. Either way, Kim coming is really great not only because I get to see one of my best friends but because I get to catch up a little on what's going on with others I know back in Chicago. There's been lots of changes here and I'm sure there's been a bunch of changes at home as well.

But mostly, I'm pumped about the break. We're staying in Sapins (I'll try to put pictures up when that's really a possibility) and the weather in Switzerland has been sunny and over 60 degrees the past couple of days. The skies are clear and we can see the mountains perfectly.

Things I've been learning this term have included (but not been limited to) how difficult it is to cook for more than 30 people (why does 30 seem so possible but 40 seem like an impossibility? I'll give you one reason: a GAS OVEN, one side of which sometimes decides not to work); the fact that the image of God in people was not affected or "tarnished" by the Fall; our relationship with God (not our image of him) was what was affected and what needs to be addressed; the meaning and purposes of human relationships; and the joys of carving in the Alps (sometimes it's icy and hard, and sometimes you don't make very much progress), and the wonders of breakfast food.

Other important updates include the fact that I won't be at L'Abri after this term. I'm excited for the next steps that are coming and would appreciate eveyone's prayers about that.

5 comments:

christine said...

Hi Valerie! Where's Sapins? Does it mean snowboarding? have fun with Kim!

Tim Williams said...

Valerie. I miss you. I wish I was coming back to Switzerland soon. Things are going really good. I'm going to try not to be jealous . . . it's just that I have such affection for Switzerland! You are a dear friend! Hope I hear from you soon and hope you don't have to cook too many more meals for 40 (or that you get better at it if you do). :)

Tim

Unknown said...

I keep checking your blog to get any news of you friend!
I miss you so much it's kinda ridiculous.
Well I hope you're doing well, I'm praying for you, and make sure you eat plenty of that Swiss Chocolate!

Adam said...

Hi Val,
I check you blog periodically. It's great! Hope things are well for you wherever you are. Way to go to Sapins. Now if I could only find it on map.....

Peace
Adam

Unknown said...

Hey VALERIE LOVE,

It's Meg! I got your letter at the end of last week and I'm working on sending you one in return, although I don't know if I'll finish it fast enough to actually mail it to you. I miss you and I'm glad to hear that everything's going well for you. :D

LOTS OF LOVE