Friday, August 17, 2007

shout out.

I want to post pictures on here soon (not like they'd do this place justice) so that my friends can get an idea of how special a place this is, but I'd thought I'd check in before that since internet accessibility is sometimes a little spotty and hard to come by.

It's a good life being a helper at L'Abri... you get a sweet balcony attached to your room (the balcony has a rare cement floor, which is a plus if you're a smoker; I'm not one but most of my friends here are so it's nice that they can have a place to relax without having to fear setting the building on fire). The balcony also happens to have a show-stopping view over the Rhone Valley which, on a clear day, you can see all the way to France if you look straight through (so I'm told. I still have a hard time believing it; but lots of things are hard to believe). (Did you like the grammar in that paragraph? I'm taking a break from worrying about syntax for a while. Just WATCH me cut loose!).

Today someone bought all the helpers cookies and hid them in our rooms, so the perks are increasing. Also, we don't have to do dishes.

My day started with a meeting up in the sacred third floor of L'Abri talking about our duties throughout the rest of the week, and then I continued to scrub all the toilets and tubs/showers in Bellevue with the help of some students with really good attitudes. Then I went to the first formal lunch of the term (relatively low-key for a formal lunch) and then did laundry and then lots of yard work on the side of this mountain (which made me feel sore and kind of satisfied at the same time), and then went to dinner and then was interviewed to help out with this doctoral student's thesis.

All in a day.

This was kind of a crummy post, but there's a line of people behind me and some man making a very personal phone call in the office which is understandably distracting.

Please please write.

No comments: