Saturday, July 12, 2008

in my own bed.

Since I got on the airplane in Birmingham I've spent a lot of time distracting myself. The tedium of flight will do that to me... instead of thinking dark, self-pitying thoughts about my life and being away from Rhett, or mental wise-cracks about the guy snoring next to me, I'll stoop so far as to flip through SkyMall catalogue in order to keep my brain from actually working. 

And flying is tiring, though it doesn't necessarily make you sleepy. So I guess it's wearying. When I got home last night, I went into hyper-connectivity mode, spending a long time online and looking at the paper and magazines that come to our house and watching the West Wing. I think I finally got to sleep around 2 am, after trying for a long time. Tylenol PM did the trick, but I woke up at 10 am this morning. At the moment, it's 3 o'clock. In the morning. 

Today I got my hair cut, went grocery shopping, did laundry, and went to see Feist in concert with a bunch of girlfriends from the Wheaton College Bookstore. I worked there for four years, so you can understand that we've known each other for a while. It was fun, but I feel an undercurrent of something that I'm keeping at bay. 

Life feels transitional right now. It's good for the moment to be in my own bed, and tomorrow I'm picking my folks up from the airport. Seeing them will be good. I'm hoping the next three weeks outside of Birmingham (specifically in Chicago and Maine), will help clarify some of my thoughts about where I need to be this fall and what I ought to be doing. 

If you're reading this, thanks for checking up on me, and also for your prayers. It's hard to be away from Rhett, but important to be here for now. 

1 comment:

blythe said...

there is something quietly comforting about this post.

you are a good writer valerie-
if i haven't already told you that. :)